Launch of a Multibillion Dollar Aircraft Leasing Fund
Our client set out to launch and manage a Shariah-compliant aircraft leasing fund with a targeted capitalization of five billion dollars. The structure of the fund required a combination of equity and debt, with a targeted asset profile of new narrowbody and widebody aircraft.
ACC Aviation was engaged to develop the financial model as part of the funds capital raising process, providing critical analysis and due diligence material for prospective equity and debt investors. After successfully launching and capitalizing the funds, the client required further specialist support in negotiating various contracts, including aircraft lease agreements, engine power-by-the-hour agreements, OEM delivery concessions, side letters, and various BFE & SCN selection requirements.
Across the duration of the project, ACC Aviation carried out several key activities:
- Financial Modeling. ACC Aviation developed a robust financial model, forecasting the fund’s economics, future aircraft values (calculating actual and synthetic values against lease return conditions and maintenance reserves), projected investor returns, lease management fees and fund expenses, debt amortization schedule and various financing ratios.
- Financing Support. Alongside the development of the financial model, ACC Aviation provided opinion letters confirming expected aircraft residual values at the end of the lease term, including aircraft redelivery conditions and forecasted maintenance reserve balances.
- Contract Advisory. Throughout the various transaction processes, ACC Aviation advised the client on negotiating various contracts associated with the deal, including aircraft lease agreements, engine power-by-the-hour agreements, OEM delivery concessions, side letters, and multiple BFE & SCN selection requirements.
The fund was launched and successfully capitalized in line with the client’s objectives. It has since expanded its portfolio to more than 50 new-generation narrowbody and widebody aircraft, receiving several awards for its innovative capital structure and leasing transactions.
ACC Aviation continues to support the client on various technical matters, including portfolio valuations and technical inspections.
- Successfully capitalized and launched a multibillion-dollar aircraft leasing fund.
- Successfully deployment of capital into an aircraft portfolio of more than 50 new generation narrowbody and widebody aircraft.
Related case studies
Recovery and remarketing of a non-performing aircraft portfolio
Over ten months, ACC Aviation successfully supported a consortium of lenders to prepare and fully liquidate the non-performing portfolio, recovering significant amounts of capital for the lenders.
Aviation advisory on the asset recovery of $600m in non-performing loans
ACC Aviation was engaged to advise the bank on how best to recover asset value whilst preserving social benefit and to support the implementation of the recommendations.
Recovering and Remarketing a Portfolio of 737 Classics
ACC Aviation was engaged to manage the recovery and remarketing of a Portfolio of 737 Classics.
Financial and Operational Revitalisation of a National Carrier
ACC Aviation was engaged to assist a national airline in developing a restructuring and recapitalisation plan. The plan would enable the airline to increase its credit quality, drive improved financial performance, and build the foundations for enhanced access to capital.